Not ready to fork out your hard earned cash on a gym membership you're not sure you'll keep up with? We have good news for you. You don't need a gym membership to get on an effective workout routine. All you need is the best home exercise equipment for beginners, and you're good to go.
But isn't that more expensive?
No, it's not. There's a plethora of affordable workout equipment you can use for strength training, cardio, and yoga, among other exercises. And the best part? You get to do it at the comfort of your own home.
Still not convinced? You will be.
A Beginners Guide to Working Out
Before we get into the best home exercise equipment for beginners, it's vital for you to know the right way to begin a workout routine.
How often should you workout? Which exercises should you do? And how do you even know you're making progress when you can't see any physical changes? These are some of the questions that may be going through your mind.
Not having the right answers can make you quit before you even begin. And we don't want that.
To help you start on the right foot, we've shared some tips that will really come in handy.
Image via Pexels
Before you begin your workout routine, it's essential to consider several factors. These include:
ENSURE YOU'RE IN TIP-TOP CONDITION
The first thing you need to do before trying any exercise is to get medical clearance from your doctor.
Getting medical clearance is particularly important for individuals over 45 years of age and those that aren't used to strenuous physical activities.
A checkup will help you know if you have any condition that could make you easily prone to injury, and it will also allow you to understand your limits. That way, you can come up with a routine that's tailored to your needs.
PLANNING IS KEY
They say that failing to plan is planning to fail. The adage applies to fitness as well. If you go in without a plan, there's a high chance you won't accomplish your fitness goals.
The best way to do it is to come up with a simple and easy to follow plan. For instance, if you want to complete a 1-hour cardio session every day non-stop, it may help to begin with 15-minute intervals and about 2 minutes of rest in between each. You can build up the time and intervals as you go.
HABIT YIELDS RESULTS
To stick to your workout plan in the long term, you'll also need to make it a habit. One way to do it is to make it a part of your everyday routine.
For instance, you can resolve to workout first thing every morning. Doing so allows you to get the task out of the way and makes it less likely for you to forgo it due to other commitments.
Types of exercises
Once you've got the go-ahead from your doctor, you know what you want to achieve, and you are ready to make it a habit, the next thing you need to do is to familiarize yourself with the different types of exercises.
Don't just do what you enjoy and what you think is most effective. According to experts, there are four types of exercises you should incorporate in your routine. These include:
Aerobic or cardio training is any exercise that speeds up your heart rate and breathing. Some examples include dancing, running, and swimming.
This type of exercise improves your muscle power and strength, thereby making you stronger. After a while, you'll notice it's easier for you to lift heavy objects and you'll generally feel lighter and more confident.
Strength training is also useful for stimulating bone growth, reducing pressure on the back and joints, lowering blood sugar, and improving balance and posture.
Examples include splinting, resistance training, and weight lifting.
Stretching is probably the most overlooked type of exercise. Most people, especially the youth, overlook it because their muscles are healthier and more flexible.
However, as you get older, you'll notice that the pain from exercising lasts longer, and it gets harder to do simple things like tying your shoes. The reason? Your muscles are less flexible and don't function properly.
To avoid this, you need to incorporate stretching workouts into your routine. It will not only make your muscles longer and more flexible but also reduce your risk of injury.
Balance exercises are also crucial because they help prevent falls, and they make you steadier. These exercises are particularly vital for older individuals. However, you're never too young to start balancing exercises. Some examples include yoga and pilates.
How often should you exercise?
he number of weekly sessions varies from one individual to another based on several factors. Some of these include health condition and the type of exercise.
However, experts recommend at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity every week. You can configure these 150 minutes any way you want. It can be 30 minutes for 5 days or 35 to 40 minutes every other day.
You can build up the intensity as you go on. And a rule of thumb you should never forget is “never skip a rest day.” Rest days allow your body to heal and relax in preparation for your next session.
Don't forget your diet
Diet and fitness go hand in hand. Whether you're trying to lose weight or build muscle, you can afford to ignore your diet.
Say goodbye the junk food and maintain a healthy balanced diet. Doing so will go a long way in helping you achieve your goals.
How We Reviewed
Now that you know how to set yourself up for success, we believe you'll know the best home exercise equipment for beginners to purchase based on your goals.
To help you with your search, we went on the deep world wide web in search of the best home exercise equipment for beginners. We not only relied on expert reviews but also what users had to say about each of the equipment.
We selected different types of equipment to give you a variety of options.
All the items on our list have a rating above 4.0 out of 5 stars. So we believe they'll serve you well.
Top 8 Best Home Exercise Equipment for Beginners
After hours of research, we managed to come up with eight of the best home exercise equipment for beginners. Whether you're in search for men's or women's home gym equipment or you simply want to add variety to your workouts, we've got an excellent selection for you.
- FREE SHIPPING for all customers within the USA + 200% Return on Investment. Actually, we offer better than money back. If there are any issues with your skip rope, we will send you a new one and give you your money back.
- VIDEO & eBOOK Included *SEE EMAIL ATTACHMENT* (usually $36) Workout alongside your personal video trainer and get two eBOOKS which outline a number of great techniques for taking your jump rope workout and nutrition to the next level.
- ADJUSTABLE LENGTH - Enjoy the option to adjust the speed rope easily to your desired length. It takes less than 5 minutes! The standard jumping rope is 9'4" in length and designed for adults as tall as 6'4" and kids. A great speed jump rope to take when traveling or to the gym, compact in design it fits easily into your bag.
- TANGLE-FREE - Made with our tangle-free rope and combined with super-speed ball bearings that ensures smooth, effortless and even rotation every time. Never again experience the frustration of a twisted jump ropes. This skipping rope is made with custom molded foam grips and built to withstand HEAVY-DUTY use
- DESIGNED for FITNESS - This workout jump rope was made to help build endurance, stamina and speed while improving your muscles tone throughout your entire body. It is a classic favourite for men and women in Boxing, MMA, Cross Fit and Cross Training.
If the last time you used a jump rope was in grade school, you're really missing out. Jump ropes deliver an excellent cardio workout, and the best part is that you can use them anywhere. They're also very affordable and won't take up too much space.
Consider adding the King Athletic Jump Rope to your list of best home exercise equipment for beginners. This jump rope is tangle-free, adjustable, and comes with a video program and two instructional ebooks to guide you on your workout. Now that's value for your money.
- 3 pairs of dumbbells in 3-pound, 5-pound, and 8-pound sizes. Ideal for resistance and other trainings
- The durable, neoprene material coated cast iron is great for indoor and outdoor workouts
- Neoprene coating on weights allow for a secure grip. The Hex shape of the dumbbells prevents them from rolling
- Easy to Assemble. Weight stand is included. A Assembly tool is included for your Convenience too
- All genuine everyday essentials products are covered by a 2-year Warranty
Any fitness enthusiast will tell you that dumbbells are a staple in their workout routine, and it's not hard to see why. They're easy to incorporate into any workout, and if you use them correctly, they can help you build total body strength.
BalanceFrom GoFit Dumbbell Set with stand would be an excellent addition to your list of best home exercise equipment for beginners.
We love these dumbells because they come in a set of three that vary in weight from three to eight pounds. With these three options, you can modify your workout intensity. They also come with a unique stand that makes storing your dumbells easy.
- SCULPT YOUR AB: Fitnessery ab roller acts as your personal fitness trainer - helping you to build stronger and bigger six pack abs, burn calories, build muscle and improve your overall endurance. Your ab roller wheel comes with 3 free bonus gifts and life-time money back guarantee. Add to cart NOW to enjoy this abs cruncher in 48 hours with Amazon Prime.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY: Train with one of the most effective pieces of home exercise equipment. It is made of strong, durable material to ensure it withstands even the most intense workout sessions. The ab wheel is made of strong stainless steel, non-slip rubber and durable PVC. The abs roller handles are made of comfortable EVA foam padding ensure safety and comfort.
- 3 FREE BONUS GIFTS: Each purchase includes three incredible extras. 1) A comfortable knee pad for added knee support (value: $10). 2) Six Pack Abs Nutrition E-book (value: $20) for valuable diet, health, and fitness guidance. 3) Ultimate Ab Workout E-book (value: $20) for fitness training workout advice. EXCLUSIVE only to Fitnessery customers, you won't find these high-value free gifts anywhere else!
- SAVE MONEY: If you want to save money on a gym membership or need to fit in a fast workout, our ab work out equipment is the ideal gym equipment for home! The non-slip rubber wheel roller securely grips any floor type, and the handles have soft padding for total comfort. It is the perfect training equipment for your home gym!
- LIFE-TIME MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: At Fitnessery, the overall health, fitness, and wellbeing of our customers have always been our top priority! To help ensure you receive a home workout equipment that you're fully satisfied with, we're offering our life-time risk free guarantee with every purchase.
Whether you want rock hard abs or a flat tummy to help you kill that bikini look, an ab roller is a must-have. The ab wheel not only works your core but also targets your triceps, shoulders, and hips. It's a great investment if you can't afford a gym membership.
The best ab roller on the market is the Fitnessery Ab Roller. It features a rubber wheel that grips on any type of floor to avoid accidents and also has comfortable EVA foam padding to ensure a hassle-free use.
But what we love most about this ab wheel is the fact that it comes with a comfortable knee pad, a six-pack nutrition book, and an ebook for ab workouts. And you won't have to break the bank to afford it.
- 5 Resistance Bands Include: Made from 100% natural latex. Comes in 5 different resistance strength levels: X-Light, Light, Medium, Heavy and X-Heavy. They're suitable for beginner or a seasoned workout sportsman.
- Efficient Workout: Loop Resistance Bands increase the effectiveness of your exercises. Used for a range of workouts, from glute and hip activation, strength techniques to integrate seamlessly with every workout program such as Yoga, Pilates,etc.
- Multifunctional: The resistance band set can be used to exercise all parts of muscles such as arms, chest, abdomen, glutes and legs, also good for Physical Therapy, Recovery or to increase Mobility.
- Gym-in-your-pocket: The exercise bands take up little space so that you can use them at home or carry on the way, such as in office, on a vacation, even can squats while watching TV at home.
- What's Included: 5 exercise loop bands with color-coded resistance levels, portable carry bag and instructions manual.
One of the best home exercise equipment for beginners on a budget is resistance bands. They allow you to add resistance to any exercise from bicep curls to seated rows and many more. And the best part is that they're very affordable.
Letsfit Resistance Loop Bands are among the best resistance bands on the market today. The package comes with five bands with five levels of resistance to help you start your resistance training with ease.
It's an incredible purchase if you're in rehab or just starting a weight training program.
- Folding Exercise Bench: Great traveling bench and great for home storage
- Positions: this bench can be adjusted to all positions from incline, flat & decline
- Seat, the seat can also be adjusted to three different positions, For decline you can make the seat to a great potions (see picture)
- We also included a free cushion for the back that you can move up and down the back of the bench to put it where its most conformable for you
- NO ASSEMBLY NEEDED: The bench comes fully assembled, just take it out of the box and it's ready to use
If you can afford to splurge, the GYMENIST Exercise Bench is also among the best home exercise equipment for beginners you should consider. With this equipment, you can do bench presses, sit-ups, and many other exercises that target your upper body.
Several things make this exercise bench stand out from the pack. For starters, it comes ready to use so you won't have to worry about assembling it. We also love that it has an adjustable back cushion you can use to support your back or neck while exercising. It's also foldable, which makes it easy to store especially if you have limited space.
- EXTRA THICK AND ANTI-BURST: one of the highest density exercise balls in the market. 2000 micrometers in thickness and can resist up to 2200 lbs.
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL AND ANTI-SLIP: Professional quality with non-toxic PVC material, free of BPA & heavy metals
- EASY TO INFLATE AND PERFECT PACKAGE: Save time and energy with the quick inflation foot pump included in the convenient box. Also comes with 2 more air stoppers and instructions
- VERSATILE USE: Not only great for pilates, yoga, back and abdominal training and pregnancy gymnastics or the hundreds of low impact exercises, but also can be used as office ball chair to improve your posture & relieve back pain. Available in 5 sizes (ranging from 45cm - 85cm) and multicolor for the perfect look and fit.
- 30-DAY NO HASSLE RETURNS & LIFETIME CUSTOMER & 12 MONTHS WARRANTY (not including artificial issues)
If you're planning to try low impact exercises such as yoga and pilates or back and abdominal training exercises, the Trideer Exercise Ball is a must-have.
This exercise ball is extremely thick, and it can withstand up to 2200 pounds in weight, so you don't have to worry about it bursting. The ball also comes with an inflation foot pump that makes it easy for you to inflate your ball. You also get two air stoppers, which ensure your exercise ball stays fully inflated.
- INCLUDES - Contains 3 kettle bells (5 lb., 10 lb., and 15 lb. kettle bell), exercise chart, and DVD
- VERSATILE - Kettle bell training engages the entire body - particularly core muscles - for a sculpted, stable and toned physique
- CONSTRUCTION - This kettle bell is filled with cement and coated with vinyl, offering a more economical choice to cast iron kettle bells
- FEATURES - Generous wide opening handle for a comfortable grip and a flat bottom to prevent the kettle bell from rocking
- FUNCTIONAL - Perfect for swings, deadlifts, squats, get-ups, snatches and other athletic or cross training workouts
Like dumbells, kettlebells are an excellent way to increase the weight you lift when doing exercises such as lunges and squats. They can also be a great addition to your cardio exercise when you incorporate swings.
Our favorite is the Tone Fitness Kettlebell. We love this kettlebell because it comes in a set of 3 with varying weights of 5, 10, and 15 pounds. With all three, you can change your workout intensity for the best results.
The kettlebells feature a wide opening handle that offers a comfortable grip and a flat base to ensure they don't rock or fall.
- UPGRADED ANTI-SKID DESIGN: This new TPE yoga mat has been upgraded with a non-slip texture for yoga, which requires anti-slip performance. Double layer structure coupled with a non-slip textured surface provides optimal grip without sacrificing comfort. This makes it suitable for many forms of Yoga.
- PATENT PENDING NEW ECO FRIENDLY MATERIAL: The upgraded TOPLUS Yoga mat is made with a patent pending new echo friendly material. It costs more to make, however it's worth it when you compare it to the traditional non-green PVC, NBR and EVA yoga mats. TPE material offers the latest technological improvement over traditional yoga mats.
- OPTIMUM THICKNESS: 6mm in thickness offers the most comfortable experience for all levels yoga. Most mats are either too thin or too thick. TOPLUS yoga mats are guaranteed to provide the optimal level of cushion and protection for your joints and knees while still allowing you to grip the floor for balance.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & EASY CARRY: The TOPLUS yoga mat is light enough to carry to the gym or anywhere you want with the included carrying strap. DIMENSION: 72-inch x 24-inch x 6mm. Weight: 37oz
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: ONE-YEAR hassle free warranty for our yoga mat, if you have any questions or concerns, we welcome that you contact us via E-mail. Our mission is to provide you with an excellent shopping experience. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE!
Last on our list of the best home exercise equipment for beginners is the TOPLUS Upgraded Non-Slip TPE Yoga Mat. It's a piece of basic workout equipment for home, but it will come in handy in your routine. You can use it for floor ab workouts, yoga, pilates, and even stretching.
This yoga mat is thick, odorless, and provides excellent cushioning. It's also non-slip, lightweight, and long enough for people of different heights. We also love that it comes with a carrying strap, which makes it easy for yogis to carry it to and from their class.
It's slightly more expensive compared to other yoga mats on the market, but it's a worthy investment.
The Time Is Now
You don't have to rob a bank to set up a simple home gym. With the best home exercise equipment for beginners, you should be able to start your fitness journey without making a significant investment. From there, all you need is commitment and drive. So stop procrastinating and begin today.
What's your favorite equipment on this list? Please share your thoughts and views in the comments section. We love hearing from you.