The humble backpack should go down as one of the greatest inventions in history. Sure, they've been with us for thousands of years in one form or another, but so has the wheel. Both are incredibly useful. When you have the best backpack for the gym and work over your shoulder, you're a compact productivity machine. Think of yourself as a 21st Century version of a Roman Legionnaire.
Just like the Roman Legions, you're able to quickly move from one place to another with everything you need on your back. You've got your laptop, files, lunch, runners, shampoo, shorts, and phone charger all neatly organized. You can grab anything you need. If a disaster were to befall your home, like when Hannibal rampaged his army through Italy, you would have everything you need in your backpack.
Of course, in today's day and age, you don't have to worry about angry Carthaginians. But you do need to think about how you're going to exercise after work. A backpack that can handle both gym and work is the tool for the job.
How To Choose the Best Backpack For The Gym And Work
There are a couple of things you need to look for when choosing the best backpack for the gym and work. You need your backpack to be able to hold all your gear. That's gear for work and the gym. So, if you can fit your laptop in as well as your sneakers, you're doing better than most people. If you rely on public transportation to get around, you'll want a highly-functional backpack that can help you keep everything organized. Car owners have a backseat. You have a backpack. So make sure there are enough pockets, and that they're big enough.
Also, you'll want a backpack that is durable enough to handle what you're going to put it through. If you jam your shoes and a computer and your coffee mug into a cheap vinyl backpack, chances are it will last for a few weeks before starting to tear. Instead, go with something that's tough.
The most functional thing your backpack can do is hold your stuff. That's the main thing it should do. But how it holds your stuff is what separates the weak from the strong. You need to be able to place everything inside without having to sit on it to close it. Also, you don't want big, uncomfortable bulges digging into your ribs when you carry it. Then there are the straps. They need to be comfortable and soft, so you barely feel them. If you live in a wintery climate, they should also be big enough to fit over bulky clothing.
Pockets are key to a good backpack. The best backpack for the gym and work will have extra pockets on the front and at least one on the side. Two side pockets are always preferable. That prevents having to keep all your stuff in a loose pile at the bottom of your bag. You can place your keys and phone in one pocket, your toiletries in another, and so on.
In addition to having a functional backpack, you want it to be strong. You need a bag that you can jam full of gear and not worry about rips. One of the most common parts of a backpack to break down is the zipper. You definitely don't want your zipper popping open while standing on a crowded bus. So the best backpack for the gym and work should have a strong zipper that never jams or opens on its own.
Also, for those of us who brave the winter four months of the year, a backpack that can withstand the assault of freezing air, wet snow, and road salt is key. Winter plays havoc with fabrics, and your backpack's lifespan gets halved in a winter climate. That's why it's important to find a rugged, durable backpack.
Lastly, if you find a highly functional and rugged backpack, but it only comes in an offsetting shade of puce, then it's no good. You need a bag that matches your personal style. Urban sophisticates will love the rough-hewn fabric bags that are popular today. Meanwhile, sporty types will be all over an Adidas bag. There are plenty of design choices for you, so don't skimp out on something you like if it meets all the right criteria.
The general rule of thumb is that the better the quality of the bag, the higher the cost. Not so when you're shopping for the best backpack for the gym and work. While there are certainly bags you can spend hundreds of dollars on. That's great news for anyone who wants a new backpack.
How We Reviewed
You want the best backpack for the gym and work that money can buy. We want to help you find that backpack. So we set about researching multi-purpose bags that met our criteria. We found all the functional, tough, stylish backpacks we could and then compared them to each other. Then we checked out real customer reviews. That helped us determine how each bag performs in the real world. If a customer mentioned snow or winter, we paid particular attention. There's nothing more punishing to a backpack than winter, so if it can hold up to a Minnesota deep freeze, it will do fine in the heat of South Carolina.
Our List Of The Best
Did you know that the average Roman soldier carried between 3 and 17 days worth of supplies on their back? Also, they had camping equipment, cooking gear, knives and utensils, gear to fix torn leather and chain mail, and personal mementos. That's on top of armor, shield, and weapons! Thankfully, we didn't have to go searching for backpacks for them. But, when we came up with this list of the best backpacks for both work and the gym for you, we approached it like you were a Roman soldier who needed our help carrying his kit.
We didn't list our choices in any particular order.
- 1. Versatile: This backpack is an ideal sport backpack for all kinds of outdoor activities such as cycling, jogging, climbing, hiking, traveling, etc. It can be used as a reliable and versatile companion for your short journeys or your sporting experience and daily use, and great gift for everyone.
- 2. Lightweight & Splash Resistance & Durable: Upgraded lightweight and an be used as a drinking bag, suitable for 1.5-2 liters water bladder (no water bladder included) to reduce your load and protect your belongs stay dry in light rain, and its double built-in waist straps improve its wear and tear resistance to ensure the pack’s life last longer.
- 3.CONVENIENT DESIGN: External: 1 exterior pocket contains five compartments and a mesh zip pocket, 1 upper zipper pocket; Internal : 1 compartment with open pocket you can carry water bladder, 1 main compartment.; On the shoulder strap, there is an access for drinking hose and headphones.
- 4. BREATHABLE & COMFORTABLE: Integrated breathable mesh pad on the back for maximum breathability and heat dissipation. Made of lightweight tear resistant nylon fabric, so it's very light and durable. Reflective strips for safe riding at night.
- 5. 100% SATISFACTION: We make it our guarantee. If you have any concern about your order, contact us directly and we will come back to you with a solution that will satisfy you 100% of the time and in under 24 hours.
First up is the BTBSZ backpack. You'll love it because it has a separate zippered compartment for your shoes, and another separate waterproof compartment for your wet, sweaty workout clothes. That means you can carry your electronics to the office without fear of them getting ruined by a wet towel. To make loading easier, and discrete, the zipper opens into a side panel where you can easily slip your laptop in. That means you can remove it at the company meeting you were almost late for without opening your entire bag. The bag is polyester, which is waterproof, and it won't wrinkle.
They all said it was a sturdy backpack with plenty of storage space. The only complaint was that the shoulder straps were a little too narrow.
- Bag dimensions:19.0 x 11.0 x 11.0 inches, Volume:45L; Fits up to 17.3 inches laptop.?
- Roomy enough for you.Main compartment with 45L volume is totally enough for keeping your sport time and daily time use items like: sport equipment, clothes, bottles,shoes, and one 15.6 inch laptop. So comvenient for your life
- Convetible design. You could easily convert this bag to backpack, shoulder bag, and duffel bag. Also the back strap can be hidden in the back compartment.
- Using accasions: You could use it as a hiking bag, travel bag, business bag, laptop backpack and shool bag, multi-functional design will meet your daily need.Water-resistant design with high quality Oxford clothes make it more durable and stable.
- Lightweight design is easy for carrying. The top grab handle offers quick grab-and-go style. Ergonomic design ensures the dispersion of gravity of the fulled bag.
When you're packing a 17-inch laptop and a pair of New Balance sneakers in the same bag, things could get real cramped quick. Enter the CoolBell Sport Backpack. Think of it more as a fabric drum or inverted duffel bag. It's also very stylish, with a sophisticated grey pattern and brown leather handles. It has 45-liters of space inside, so it is huge. There are pockets on the side for your accessories and a separate compartment for your laptop. Best of all, this bag is waterproof, so after a week of work and the gym, take it camping! The CoolBell is definitely a contender for the best backpack for the gym and work.
That makes it one of the highest-rated backpacks we've seen. Every customer raved about the space they had inside. It can carry everything, and it's durable enough to handle most situations. There were no complaints.
Perhaps you prefer never to lose your backpack in a crowd? In that case, go with a bright blue Gofar Lightweight Backpack. Because it's nylon, it's very tough. There's a separate compartment for your shoes, and you can even jam a basketball in here. There's a lot of space here to play with. While there are padded shoulder straps, there's a mesh fabric on the back to keep everything from poking out. You'll be able to pack most things you need in here with no problem.
Many customers loved the variety of pockets it has, especially the lined one that keeps your drinks cold or hot. They found it was spacious and comfortable to carry around. On the other hand, a few people complained that it looks cheap, and the zipper configuration causes headaches for some people.
- Versatile pack for work or school includes a 15-inch laptop sleeve and tablet space
- Made of durable 1200D Poly with Rain Defender water repellent plus Duravax abrasion-resistant base
- Zippered exterior organization compartment for keys, pens and other small items; mesh side pockets
- Contour fit padded shoulder straps with daisy chains, and padded air mesh back panel
- Measures 12w x 18h x 11d inches; weighs 1.4 pounds
Next is the Carhartt Legacy Standard Work Backpack. As its name suggests, this backpack has a vintage quality to it. Although it's 100-percent polyester, it looks like brown leather. You could almost pull off the Roman Legionnaire with this bag. There's a separate sleeve for a 15-inch laptop, and plenty of front and side compartments for your stuff. There's a reinforced base, so it can carry quite a bit of weight.
Almost everyone praised the tough, durable materials of this bag. However, a few people complained that it's a little too small for their needs.
- Fold-over top and buckle closure offers secure storage.
- Zippered shoe compartment separates footwear from other items.
- Large main compartment along with multiple accessory pockets inside helps keep items organized and a mesh side pocket offers breathable storage.
- Polyester material is lightweight and durable.
- Dimensions: 13" W x 27" H x 7" D
When you need to work, hit the gym, and play golf, nothing is better than the NIKE Sport III golf backpack. With a stylish design and plenty of room, you can bring all you need with you. The bottom of the bag is a huge shoe compartment, while the top is waterproof polyester. Because there are many accessory pockets, you can keep all your stuff organized. Best of all, you can easily fit a 15-inch laptop into the top compartment along with your gym clothes.
Many people praised its size, and the shoe compartment is for large shoes. Unfortunately, there were a few complaints that there's no venting in the bottom compartment, so it quickly starts to stink.
- ❥Large capacity and easy storage: The business laptop backpack has three main compartments and more than 10 functional pockets that offer you spacious space for maximum 17 inches laptop,making your stuffs in perfect order.
- ❥Comfort: The Men Travel Backpack’s Airflow and Breathable Backing provides you Maximum comfort and back support.
- ❥Durable Material: Water-resistant/shockproof/tear-resistant backpack made by Polyester Fabric for exterior, Dacron Fabric for lining, high-quality materials of this durable daypack assure you an availability to use it for at least 5 years except for intended injury.
- ❥Multipurpose Backpack: Backpack Ideal for college school, business, work, weekend travels, camping, hiking, daily life and even great gifts for friends.
- ❥Convenient and fashionable Design: External USB charging with one cable for free offers a convenient charging for your electronic device anywhere and a headphone port enables you to easily enjoy music and movies. The slim lightweight Men’s backpack will make you a fashion trend.
So far in our list of the best backpack for the gym and work, we've concentrated on gym-first bags. The E-Zoned backpack is office-centric. The E-Zoned travel laptop backpack is sleek, minimalist, and modern looking. There's a real urban-chic look to this bag. But one look and you can also see that this is one tough bag. Polyester keeps it waterproof, while steel zippers mean you'll never worry about it opening up suddenly. There are eight compartments inside, including a special hidden compartment. Outside, it has an additional two pockets. Your laptop fits into a separate lined compartment, keeping it safe and dry.
They also praised it for its various pockets and compartments. Several people complained that zippers broke loose after a short time using the bag. That's a little worrying.
- UA Storm technology delivers an element battling, highly water resistant finish
- Tough, abrasion resistant 1680 Nylon bottom panel built for extended durability
- Compression molded shoulder straps & back panel feature Charged Cushioning for total comfort, firm enough to handle heavy weight
- Easily accessible, TSA friendly laptop sleeve unzips to lay flat so you don't need to remove it from your bag—holds up to 15" MacBook Pro or similarly sized laptop
Next is the Under Armour UA Huey Backpack, which has a military look in mind. The vertical cross straps along the front offer lots of support for the laptop compartment. Meanwhile, tough nylon takes a beating and keeps on going. One great thing about the UA Huey is that it is TSA-friendly, so the laptop compartment simply zips open, and you can lay the entire laptop flat. Of course, TSA needs your laptop out of the bag and in a separate bin in most cases, so that's kind of useless.
Almost everyone said it was extremely comfortable to carry, with big, padded straps that never break. Also, many customers praised how much room is available, even with a 15-inch laptop in its compartment. The only complaints we could find were that the bag itself is on the heavy side when empty.
- materials -- P. KU. VDSL augur Series vintage canvas backpack is made of canvas with genuine cow leather trim. Vintage style canvas backpack with adjustable and durable shoulder straps for carrying comfortably.
- new Plus size -- teen canvas rucksack about 32cm(l)x46cm(h)x20cm(w)/ 12. 6"(L)x18"(h)x7. 9"(W). this large size computers laptop backpack accommodate a 17" Laptop, with the many pockets can offer more space to hold small stuffs like cellphones, keys, A4 paper, notebooks, and a variety of other items.
- large capacity -- Capacity ABOUT 29L. Over flap with belt design, Snap button closure, 1*front zipper pocket; 2*side zipper pockets; 1*rear zipper pocket; interior cellphone pockets; interior zipper pockets; 1* interior credential pocket; 1* tablet/ 17" Laptop padded compartment.
- style -- This canvas bag can be used as a hiking daypack, computer bag, school backpack, travel daypack, sport shoulder backpack, business laptop backpack. It's suitable for everyday use.
- suitable for more occasions -- casual daypacks, Retro rucksack, this fashionable and stylish vintage canvas backpack is ideal for school, work, traveling and hiking, mountaineering, camping. Moreover, it also perfect for men and women. Has quality construction and a stylish design, this fashionable bag will bring compliments and Envy, as it is both practical and chic.
Finally, we have the P.KU.VDSL-AUGUR SERIES Vintage Canvas Leather Backpack. That's a mouthful, almost as much as "Senātus Populusque Rōmānus." Like the legions with their SPQR tattoos, this bag harks back to a time past. The entire bag is thick canvas, trimmed with real cow leather. There are enough pockets to hold your laptop, phone, gym clothes, and shoes here. Because the backpack is rugged, you can take it on public transit without worrying. Also, it uses a folded flap with buckles instead of a zipper, so it will never pop open on you.
Customers raved about how big it is. It seems to be able to fit anything. Another thing customers loved was the tough build quality. Many said that it looks and feels like a well-built backpack. However, people did complain that the interior lining is flimsy and tears easily.
Finding The Best Backpack
So, which one is the best backpack for the gym and work? Using our criteria of something that is functional, sturdy, and stylish, we have to go with the CoolBell or the Under Armour Huey backpacks. We're also very fond of the P.KU.VDSL-Auger Series vintage backpack. Any of these can easily qualify as the best backpack for the gym and work in 2019.
What do you think? Is there a backpack we don't know about? Let us know in the comments!
Last update on 2021-11-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API